Why you need to topdress your lawn
At the heart of traditional lawn-care is topdressing. After a time, the essential nutrients found in the soil can deplete or dissipate leaving your grass starving. Lawn top dressing is the process of adding a thin layer material to the surface of the lawn. This isn’t applied so thick that you’ll be able to see it, but top dressing is an organic way to adding some fresh “life” back into your soil.
A stressed lawn won’t grow as well and will be more vulnerable to drought, insects and weeds. Top dressing adds nutrients back into the soil. Top dressing not only adds missing or depleted nutrients into the existing soil, it is
Soil contains billions of micro-organisms convert many organic materials such as fallen leaves, woody debris and other things into nutrients the plants can consume. These micro-organisms, when missing, encourage a host of other problems that are difficult to cure.
Top dressing has a number of benefits:
- It adds organic matter back into your lawn
- It re-introduces micro-organisms back into the soil
- It combined with core aeration places new organic material and nutrients deeper into the soil
- It can amend or modify the soil (adding compost can relieve compaction problems for instance)
- It reduces the need for fertiliser
- It can reduce the stress on your lawn from foot or vehicle traffic
- It ensures any grass seed planted has contact with soil, needed to germinate
- It helps soil retain moisture which is especially helpful when planting new grass or sod
- It can even out dips or hollow spots in the yard so that grass has equal access to water
- It can reduce thatch build up by encouraging decomposition
- It protects the grass over winter
Unless Top Dressing is done correctly, it can also have a negative effect one of which is weeds. Any introduced soil will contain a lot of live weed seed, which will happily germinate on your lawn and develop a nice, new weed population. When done correctly, the topdressing helps deal with thatch by covering it and allows the grass to re-root and become denser.
Contact us now for a no obligation quote and we can instantly transform your garden exactly the way you want.